Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 16:08:55 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:46:57AM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>>> Or are you just remarking on the perceived irony of a phrase containing
>>> the word "freedom" being considered a form of intellectual property?
>> This point exactly.  With other slogans, I'd be less concerned.  With this
>> slogan, the idea of protecting the mark gives me some pretty serious
>> heartburn.
>
> Maybe we could leave off the TM but include somewhere some lighthearted fine
> print about it being a trademark irony notwithstanding and we know that
> sounds silly but hey, gotta use the law to protect freedom too. I'm too
> tired to be really witty right now but maybe someone else can pick up from
> there. :)

while the slogan is a pretty nice statement of a defining quality of
fedora - omfg will the world end if someone else uses it?

e.g., if $DISTRO starts using it AND actually backs it by you know, not
shipping patent-infringing codecs in their distro... well isn't that
what we WANT? you know, others to follow our lead? and, if they pick up
the slogan and continue to produce a not entirely free distro, well they
just look stupid then! :)

~m