Fedora Life Cycle

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Mon Oct 22 22:56:59 UTC 2007

man, 22 10 2007 kl. 20:35 -0200, skrev Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira:

> By example i will use the biggest Brazilian Fedora Case.
>
> SERPRO (Brazilian Government IT Department) has more than 8.000 desktop
> stations and several servers using Fedora inside spread in 26 Brazilian
> States.
>
> Do you have any idea of what i'm  talking about ????
>
> How can they update it every six month?? It's a craziness !!

They knew our release schedule when they deployed right? So why is it a
problem now and why are you basically demanding that we redesign a
successful model to avoid your problem given that you were warned in
advance.

I would suggest that if SERPRO needs a longer cycle they could work with
Fedora to branch a release like the upcoming Fedora 8 and volunteer to
do all the maintance work to give it the lifecycle they need. I'm sure
such an investment would be considered valuable by webhosts and the
likes.

Alternatively you could go with CentOS which is built on Fedora but with
a 7 year life span and release major releases every ~2 years. That seems
more suitable for your needs.

Fedora is a rapidly evolving platform, we depend and commit to the 6
month cycle with a reasonable lifecycle giving us that.

The only thing we can do is increase testing of the upgrade process to
make it as painfree for you as possible, but we'll need and value your
help in doing this. More hands on deck is always good.

Your friendly neighborhood QA monkey