[Fwd: Re: Get Fedora]

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Mon Oct 29 17:37:06 UTC 2007

man, 29 10 2007 kl. 11:46 -0500, skrev Mike McGrath:
> David Nielsen wrote:
> > man, 29 10 2007 kl. 09:10 -0500, skrev Mike McGrath:

> >> That's actually up to the QA team, and AFAIK the kde spin is blessed
> >> already and distributed by the mirrors.  This is a pure marketing
> >> decision.  Do we want it on the get fedora page or not.
> >>

> > So if we market both and the QA flatly just don't have time and manpower
> > to vet both, say the KDE spin has a horrible lot of problems does that
> > not reflect badly on all of Fedora. In effect the choice is vetting
> > everything (which we should do, sadly manpower, endless variantion and
> > so on makes this practically impossible especially as the number of
> > spins keep mounting) or blessing one spin then ensuring that at least
> > rocks hard. Personally I feel pretty damn confident about the state of
> > the GNOME spin, I've beaten it mercilessly for weeks without seeing
> > major issues.
> >

> This is not marketing's concern / burden to worry about.  If they ship
> KDE to the mirrors, its a vetted official release and not a 'custom
> respin'.

You saying so does not a stable release make, if I am misinformed on
said point, could you start saying so more often as it would greatly
ease my work. A release does not become vetted because we bless it, a
release becomes vetted by testing.

Seperate but related concerns, I'm saying it's unwise to bless a release
without having assurance that it's properly vetted first. Saying we
could just dismiss QA is not serving the KDE spin or the image of Fedora
as a whole.

- David