[Fwd: Re: Get Fedora]

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Mon Oct 29 18:01:21 UTC 2007

man, 29 10 2007 kl. 12:31 -0500, skrev Mike McGrath:
> David Nielsen wrote:
> > man, 29 10 2007 kl. 11:46 -0500, skrev Mike McGrath:

> >> This is not marketing's concern / burden to worry about.  If they ship
> >> KDE to the mirrors, its a vetted official release and not a 'custom
> >> respin'.
> >>

> > You saying so does not a stable release make, if I am misinformed on
> > said point, could you start saying so more often as it would greatly
> > ease my work. A release does not become vetted because we bless it, a
> > release becomes vetted by testing.
> >
> > Seperate but related concerns, I'm saying it's unwise to bless a release
> > without having assurance that it's properly vetted first. Saying we
> > could just dismiss QA is not serving the KDE spin or the image of Fedora
> > as a whole.
> >

> What I'm saying is the QA and releng teams do the testing / vetting.
> They decide what the official releases are to be and as of right now
> they have decided that the KDE spin is also an official release.  As a
> marketing team it's our job to determine how best to get that
> information known and to the users without confusing them because, and
> lets be honest, if we put every possible Fedora available directly on
> the get-fedora page with explanations of each, it would be incredibly
> confusing to users.

Here's the grim realistic goals of QA. Install, Boot, have working
network and working yum on all machines, that's basically enough to make
a release fixable post release. Even that is hard to get (remember F7
that didn't boot on certain Dell machines because of a last minute
update), that does not mean Fedora is unstable it just means we have few
people and a lot of work, not to mention not access to all possible
combinations of hardware. That does not mean the spin is sufficently
vetted to risk the reputation of Fedora. Anything beyond those 4 things
is a bonus, a bonus we normally are able to more than deliver on in most
cases.

As for the confusion argument, I totally agree - only I'm of the opinion
that 1 is less confusing that 2 options.

Regardless I already did bow to the majority. Realistically it's
political suicide to bless only one of the major desktop spins anyways.

- David