Editorial on competition and choice

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 10 15:42:09 UTC 2007

Hi

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070910#feature

"The first step would be for Spevack (and other distribution project
managers) to admit that Ubuntu has done something right. The second
would be to recognise that popularity isn't "fanboyism." It's all very
nice to say in an interview that "our distribution is the best and that
people will eventually notice." The uneasy truth is, however, that
people aren't choosing Fedora, Mandriva or openSUSE, they are choosing
Ubuntu. And while it's great to see so much enthusiasm for a Linux
distro, I feel uneasy about the growing dominance of one sole project,
no matter how good, user-friendly or innovative it is."