Minority: helping upstream to market their product

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 11 07:14:10 UTC 2007

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:

> Thus I'm asking everyone reading this mail, please take some time to
> think and tell me how can fedora help these projects knowing that more
> than 60% of their user base is fedora users.

One of the reasons, we keep pushing maintainer's to send patches
upstream and not deviate as much as possible is to maintain better
relationship's with upstream developers and to enable end users to send
feedback without worrying too much about deviations.

Finding and collaborating with upstream projects strategically is going
to be very useful. We have done so in a broad level but micro
communities are quite useful too.

> Fedora talks about innovation. Can Fedora Marketing/ambassadors afford
> a little innovation in terms of spreading the word about opensource ?

Spins are a excellent way to highlight a focused improvement in any
area. Anything unique can be leveraged nicely.

> Lately, I've been promoting the next "Fedora Electronic Lab" livecd
> near these upstream. Most of the university lecturers (the developers)
> said that they will recommend it to their students.
> Thus we will not only expand the fedora user base, but will also have
> upstreams do the marketing for fedora.
>
> Meanwhile, I'll wait for your suggestions on how we can proceed,...

Let's say I want to talk about Fedora Electronics Lab to a few people, I
wouldn't really know what things to highlight or what kind of questions
I could get.  Talking points and FAQ could be listed in the wiki and
linked from the marketing page so that I can get more clueful on these
topics. Make sure you do that somewhere visibly.