Question about our Brand

Paul Stauffer paulds at bu.edu
Mon Sep 17 20:48:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 04:34:21PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> Fedora is heavily linked - I would say Beta version - because the two

Argh.  Please avoid using the word "beta", or even terms like "proving
ground"!

Language like this just serves to further the widespread mistaken impression
that Fedora only exists as some sort of experimental test subject for RHEL,
and encourages the idea that Fedora is not a production-quality distro in
its own right.

Fedora is the major upstream source for RHEL.  As such, it has great value
to Red Hat, and so Red Hat supports it.  I think that should be the simple
summary of the relationship which any ambassador should be able to explain.

- Paul

--
Paul Stauffer <paulds at bu.edu>
Manager of Research Computing