Question about our Brand

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 03:20:16 UTC 2007

Mike McGrath wrote:
> JoergSimon wrote:
>> Hi Mike some usefull links
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Conduct
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/AnswerQuestions
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommunityConduct
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/TalkingPoints
>>

> Some of these are pretty good, I came up with some more questions:
>
> When talking officially about "The Fedora Project's" flagship product
> "Fedora", was our last release
>
> "Fedora 7"
> "Moonshine"
> "Fedora 7 (Moonshine)" or
> "Fedora Moonshine"

I'd personally recommend 1 or 3: "Fedora 7" or "Fedora 7 (Moonshine)"...
I think for many n00bs the 'Moonshine' part would be confusing. You
know, nothing wrong with using it on mailing lists and otherwise
'internally' to the project, but in 'external' promotional and marketing
collateral targeted at folks outside the project it would probably be
better not to.

> Where can I find a list of official colors we can use?

This we have wrt the logo:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines#head-7393075343a81afb1dcfd83f37dcf47cc666be33

But there isn't a general color palette for collateral materials about
Fedora other than those two colors. Oh wait, I just remember I came up
with one a while back based on the logo colors:

http://mihmo.livejournal.com/37350.html

Maybe could be the start of an official one?

> Should we have our web apps match the OS or does the OS change enough
> from time to time that its just not practical?

I think the OS's theme changes enough that it's not practical to try to
keep up with it in a major way. Updating some banners and small graphics
like that to correspond, okay, but the whole template - nah.

> Do we have any testimonials?

I don't know of any but we certainly could seek some out - I answer the
logo request queue and a lot of people do pretty interesting things with
Fedora and ask for the logo to put on their marketing materials... I
could go through and cull through my logo request records and ask the
folks with particularly interesting uses of Fedora if they'd be willing
to give a testimonial.

> Do we have anyone out there selling Fedora business to business.  I use
> the term sales there loosely as there's no compensation out there but
> aside from the ambassadors, whats the closest thing we have to a sales
> engineer?
>
> How are we marketing / pushing the whole re-spin thing to try to get
> others to participate?

I put together some banners a while back advertising the respinability
of F7 but failed to come through with a plan for actually using them :(

http://pookstar.deviantart.com/art/What-Fedora-will-you-make-57089131

http://pookstar.deviantart.com/art/Spin-Spin-Fedora-56954387

> Has anyone given any thought to using the the Fedora OS as a gateway to
> becoming a contributor or is that more of a technical decision?

What do you mean?

~m