Visual: Mirrors vs Users

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Tue Sep 25 00:59:51 UTC 2007

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>> I wrote a little call to help post today as well as a comparison of
>> where our users are vs mirrors.  This is using a small sampling of
>> people that have connected to our mirrors site.  Not an exact science
>> but interesting none the less, thought I'd share.
>>
>> http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/8797.html
>>
>>    -Mike
>>

> I know in Australia there are  a lot of ISP's that mirror off each
> other and that generally propagates out.  The example is my isp
> ftp.iinet.net.au mirrors off planetmirror yet its done on a 24 hour
> basis I believe.  The only issue I have is that if the release of
> Fedora happens to be on a Thursday/Friday US time then we don't get it
> till Monday, Tuesday of the following week.  While thats not your
> issue it's painting a picture of how my isp works.
>
> Is there a way to talk to some of the mirrors in Australia?  I know of
> about 3-4 mirrors that aren't listed (not confirmed) maybe because
> they are sub-mirrors.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marc

I suppose to add to the list to make it at least of some value.

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/ - Not fedora 7 (not sure why but a lot of
people struggled in switching)
ftp://ftp.iinet.net.au - Does some of Fedora
http://mirror.internode.on.net/ Does some
http://www.pacific.net.au/mirror/
http://www.filearena.net/

These are just a quick look. There are a few universities that offer
mirroring as well.  Is there a way to get a look at a region's mirrors
to see if marketing can help locate other mirrors for infrastructure to
have a chat to?

Cheers,

Marc