Fedora-fr association was born !

Thomas Canniot mrtom at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 29 22:04:00 UTC 2007

Le Sat, 29 Sep 2007 21:15:00 +0200,
Gerold Kassube <gerold at lugd.org> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> please excuse my clear words but I am very unsatisfied and I want to
> tell you that this association is founded alone by our french friends;
> has nothing to do with all other Ambassadors in the Rest of EMEA ...
>
> No other than the french people were involved in that.
>
> This is _NO; I reply _NO_ European, EMEA or Global Association. As you
> all have read in the FAD meeting minutes from Linuxtag were more that
> 10 different Country (with Ambassadors) were presented, the Rest
> without a french participation was talking about to create a global
> or at least EMEA Association.
>
> Just for all of you as information.
>
> Personally I hope, our french friends will have the success they hoped
> but also I personally hope to support a European one ...
>
> Just my two cents
>
> Gerold

Hey Gerold,

That's great that you give at last for once you point of view about
EMEA on the mailing list, instead of always restrict this discussion on
private meetings during big events.

First, I just would like to say that French and other ambassadors
involved in the EMEA creation share the same objective. We _all_ want
an EMEA Fedora 'thing' to be created. The difference is that we
don't share the same approach to create it.

French Amb. do think that EACH country has to be first organised at a
national level BEFORE any EMEA could communicate with it. Could you
imagine the EMEA communicating on same subjects with so many different
ambassadors from only ONE country ? I don't... what a waste of time and
energy ! We do believe that creating local / national entities would
rather facilitate the damn life of the Fedora EMEA thing, because in
France, it will have to communicate with one, and only one entity, this
association.

Then, maybe I will disappoint you, but everything is already created
and there is no way we can go back. We already have members and money,
and we are to promote Fedora in French speaking countries as it has
never be done before. Maybe some people are jealous of our success...
I don't know and I really don't care, because we know that what we are
doing right now is good for the French community, because it respond to
what people want.

Then, I would suggest Gerold to at last open a _real_ discussion
about EMEA, because being reproached not to attend event is really to
easy. I am very happy for you if you have enough money and time to go
there and there and discuss with people. From my point of view, as a
kind of French Fedora Leader, I don't. And as you may have noticed, I
said that I am going to go to this far event in Rheinfelden. We missed
ONE or TWO FAD, this is very easy to say we don't care about it. The
mailing list IS there to unite people and avoid this kind of little
meeting in the middle of nowhere, and you never used it on purpose on
that subject.

Finally, I will say that the creation of this association was done
because the Fedora Project itself failed to respond to our requests of
promoting Fedora in France. I'm sorry, but we should not write in the
Amb. pages that CD/DVD will be sent for events, we never received
anything even if the requests were made on time and even if people were
pinged at different level of the Fedora hierarchy. We can't waste time
created a global EMEA to promote Fedora, we are doing it right now, and
it works. EMEA is our next objective, as the French association is now
created. And I would suggest every Fedora Ambassadors from common
countries to organise themselves in local / national entities to make
the future life of EMEA easier. However, it will be as slow and
unresponsive than the Fedora Amb. project.

Cheers,

that was my 2 cents :)

Thomas