Associating the Red Hat and Fedora brands?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 16:45:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 10:51 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> >>  +1 to Joerg, and -1 to co-branding.
>
> OK, then, let me propose something different and a bit less intrusive:

A quick discussion halt here.

Joerg -- your reply was made to a related but *completely different
discussion*.  Greg's comment you quoted refers to a policy, not a
particular action.

Putting any kind of "sponsored by" stuff in Anaconda does not mean we
have suddenly changed all of our policy about co-branding.

One can still be against the concept of co-branding[1] while still
acknowledging sponsorship, partnerships, and other relationships.

Co-branding is a big effort; look at the situation with Red Hat and
JBoss to see how that is going.  Personally, I don't think Fedora needs
co-branding to succeed, and it would distract from our mission.

But that's really orthogonal to if we want to show some love for Red Hat
(and other sponsors), as well as showing lots of love for the community.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-branding

> maybe we could put a "corporate sponsorship" slide into the Anaconda
> install flow?  "Thanks to our corporate sponsors".  With a big Shadowman,
> and then smaller logos from lots of other companies.  Since it would just
> be a single slide, we could make it as NASCAR-y as we wanted.
>
> --g
>
> --
> Greg DeKoenigsberg
> Community Development Manager