Codecs in Fedora 9

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:36:07 UTC 2008

> Chris Negus wrote:
> >> Well, codeina is still there. The plan is to drop the "paid" codecs and
> >> only keep the gratis mp3 plugin. Refer
> >>
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings/2008-03-11#head-99b276cb166437476b228e7142d9607b91bc91d8
> >>
> >> # yum info codeina
> >
> > Okay, thanks. It's not on the install DVD or the live CD. So a user who
> > doesn't know about codeina already won't get information about mp3
> > support. Any possibility codeina might still make it on to those media
> > for Fedora 9?
>
> That's the plan. Only mp3 support is planned to be retained. Rest of the
> paid codecs are being ripped out since the board felt that it wasn't
> consistent with the goals of Fedora.

Re: our Tuesday meeting 1-April...

Notwithstanding our criticism of codeina the way it's currently
implemented, we felt that making this change at a late point in the game
(post-feature freeze) without a clear replacement roadmap was not the
best decision, and that we'll revisit this immediately post-Fedora 9 to
plan for a better solution in Fedora 10.

At this point, codeina should be appearing in repositories again.