Red Hat's Challenge

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Mon Apr 14 10:59:21 UTC 2008

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Red-Hats-Challenge/

"While Linux is as good and perhaps better suited to the needs of
knowledge workers who do not require Windows-only applications—a
category into which I fall—the lack of an identity and management
solution for Linux that's comparable to Microsoft's Active Directory and
Group Policy is retarding Linux's growth.

But based so far on my tests of Red Hat's Fedora 9, which is due in late
April, the pieces required to fill this gap for Linux—namely, the
PolicyKit management and FreeIPA identity components that make their
debut in this Fedora—are starting to fall into place."

It's mainly about Red Hat but it very much explains Fedora as an
unstable Red Hat which to me does not credit Fedora sufficiently.

Cheers,

Marc