Feature chasing (was Re: Fedora 9 feature preview - kernel modesetting)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 13:17:21 UTC 2008

> Hi,
>
> Yet another feature we need to highlight. Probably in the release notes
> too for the web version.
>
> http://airlied.livejournal.com/58778.html

Is there any way we can get people to move the writing energy from their
blogs to the release notes?

It is hard to take a "neat semi-hidden feature" seriously when the only
way we hear about it is through someone's blog.  We cannot be chasing
people's blogs looking for feature information -- that is why we have
one, central way to track features, and one, central way to gather
release notes.  A personal blog is not an example of these.

Every release I'm tempted to put as much energy into publicizing these
release notes as the developer has, that is, next to none.  Will people
finally learn if we stop rewarding them for bad behavior?

This is not intended as a slight against arlied, he's just the latest
example in a multi-year string of examples.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41