Fedora 9 Preview Review

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 20 23:47:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

http://www.montanalinux.org/fedora-9-preview-review.html

"One new feature that I am excited about is the LiveUSB with persistant
data. While the ability to create a LiveUSB stick from the LiveCD media
has been a feature of Fedora for a while, the ability to have persitant
data is new. For more info on that, see the interview with Jeremy Katz
in Red Hat Magazine. I originally thought that the persistant data
feature was only for user data but as it turns out it applies to the
complete system... so not only can you store your documents... but you
can also install updates, new applications, create accounts, and save
settings. There is nothing special you have to do... it works just like
a hard drive would."

"This is the first release of FreeIPA so it currently isn't feature
complete but they do have a roadmap. This sounds a lot like a Linux
alterative to Microsoft's Active Directory although it is NOT trying to
be a clone of Active Directory. As you would expect it is powered by a
number of server applications including Fedora Directory Server"