Comment follow-up?

Jack Aboutboul jaa at redhat.com
Mon Dec 8 13:22:21 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/fedora_10_with_kvm_xen_and_faster_startup/
>
> There are some comments in this article that deserve follow up.  Just
> as Red Hat marketing folks do follow up with press on Red Hat specific
> articles, it would be good to see our Marketing team have a strategy
> for following up on articles at sites that frequently cover Fedora
> news.

I think this would require a form commitment from a number of people to
constantly follow and follow up on press stuff.  In fact it should maybe
a sub-speciality of the marketing group.
> The key points to answer are:
>
> * Do we have such a process right now?  (I don't believe so, but there
>   should be.)

We do not.
> * How should that process work in a way that guarantees transparency
>   and encourages collaboration and scalability?  (In many cases, there
>   will be a pool of answers that will take care of many
>   questions/comments.)

Do you think we should really rely on handing people canned responses?
Also, to what extent?  The problem as I see it is people see the canned
something else?"  What are your thoughts?
> This is one of the reasons I was encouraging people on the Marketing
> team to engage on the questions from Neowin.  This team can develop a
> slate of ready materials for answers to those kinds of questions.  A
> team effort means we can cover more ground.

A team effort does mean we can cover more ground, but might also
requires more overhead, right?.  For example, you always want to speak
with once voice, and often times, when you put together a team on
something like this, certain people will disagree on certain points.  At
what point do you say that the time requirement to establishing a
concurring statement amongst all parties outweighs the benefit of having
a team effort?

Also, out of curiosity of process, just exactly how does Red Hat's
PR/Marketing team manage things like this?

Jack