I still want a Fedora coffee table book, and you are going to help me make one.

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Dec 16 12:01:40 UTC 2008

Lisa Brewster wrote:
> Fedora:  The Book
>
> Objectives
> Driven by the Fedora Ambassadors, the goal of this photo project is to
> communicate what Fedora means to us and our communities.  Images should
> show a Fedora user holding an object that symbolizes how the software
> empowers him or her in the Fedora principles of infinity, freedom, or
> voice [is principles the right word to use here?].  Submissions should

Keep in mind that we are transitioning from "infinity | freedom | voice"
to "freedom, friends, features, first" (4f's), so those are the key
points we want to communicate.

> include a short description (250-500 words) of how the subject uses the
> software and how this photo demonstrates one of the principles.
>
> Photographers are open to interpret this theme as concretely or
> abstractly as they like.  For example, you could choose to photograph
> something as straightforward as a teacher you encouraged to use Fedora
> in the classroom holding an apple with a Fedora sticker on it, or you
> could have someone photograph you holding a personal item that
> symbolizes what inspired you to join the project. Feel free to
> brainstorm for whimsical ideas as well, such as a developer covered in
> peanuts (because you have to be "nuts" to work for free, right?).  Group

A good number of Fedora developers are employed by various entities.

> photos are also acceptable, such as a group of ambassadors holding
> stacks of livecds to be distributed or XO's in the wild.
>
> One photo per week will be posted on $website.  Once enough submissions
> are collected [one year's worth = 52?], selected photos will be
> published in a collectable book available for purchase.  All proceeds
> will be donated to $cause.
>
> Requirements
> Images should be of high quality and at least $x-resolution by
> $y-resolution.  You don't have to be a professional photographer, but

Don't go for X by Y, go for something like "at least N megapixels"
(where N is dictated by the physical page size of the book)

> composition, focus, and lighting are vital to communicating a strong
> message.  If in doubt of your photography skills, feel free to ask a

Who will make the judgement if a photo is good enough? What if there are
more submissions each week? How decide what to keep and what to reject?

> friend or post your idea to $mailinglist to see if we can find someone
> in your area who's willing to help [maintain a wiki page for volunteer
> photographers?].
>
> Images must contain at least one person holding an object.  The criteria
> defining both person and holding is flexible and could incorporate using
> hands, feet, or items resting on the body of people, robots, statues,
> animals, or other creative interpretations as long as it applies to
> Fedora and you can explain how it demonstrates infinity, freedom, or
> voice.  The subject's face does not have to be visible.  [Legal:  do we

4 f's, not i|f|v.

> need model release forms?]

Yes, if we show people faces we *need* a model release form.

> Images must be licensed in a manner that allows derivative works [and
> commercial?  Not sure what's required for "proceeds go to charity" use].

According with http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing we don't consider
NC (non-commercial) Free for our distro, so it would be hypocritical to
go with NC for the book. Better stay with something along the lines of
CC-BY or CC-BY-SA.

>  The Fedora logo and editorial text based on your description will be
> superimposed on the image, and it may be adjusted for color, brightness,
> contrast, etc. [Legal:  what else is needed here?]

No alteration of the logo is allowed, stick with the values provided:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines

> Inspiration
> Want to contribute to The Book but aren't sure where to begin?  Read
> over the following list of power words to see if any experiences of how
> you've enriched someone's life because of Fedora come to mind:
>
>     * success stories
>     * empowerment
>     * pride
>     * culture
>     * diversity
>     * strength
>     * knowledge
>     * community
>     * extraordinary people
>     * solutions
>     * freedom
>     * sharing
>     * adoption
>     * innovation
>     * contribution

The list can be extended to uniformly cover the 4 f's.