Picture book....

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 01:43:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:54:22PM -0800, Doug Berry wrote:
> I am asking pubs and printers for estimates
> on a 130 page 4-color 8.5 by 11.0 Perfect
> Bound plain paper book. We can change any
> of that, but 8.5 by 11 is a very good size
> because it is one of the standards. They
> usually print everything that size or smaller
> on US Letter or A4, and then cut it to size.
> 8.5 by 11 would only require edge trimming
> which may get us a better price.
>
> So, tell you what. It Xmas week next week.
> everyone will be out this weekend, in the
> malls. Wander into Borders or Barnes and
> look at some of the photo and coffee table
> books they have. Maybe we would want to go
> bigger, or square? What do you think?

Was talking with Jef about his visions for the project. He thinks we
need a book that is less than 1 pound and can fit easily in whatever bag
an OLPC XO could be in.

Not sure how many pages this would be (especially since page weights
matter), but The Love Book (which Jef referenced originally) is 96 pages
as of his last count.

Making it sized for the OLPC would work by using the apparently-standard
size of 6"x9". Not sure if Lulu can do this.

Jef posted a braindump to the bottom of the wiki, I'd advise reading it.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36