Picture book....

Doug Berry slasherzee at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 02:24:24 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 12/19/08, Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Picture book....
> To: fedora-marketing-list at redhat.com
> Date: Friday, December 19, 2008, 5:43 PM
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:54:22PM -0800, Doug Berry wrote:
> > I am asking pubs and printers for estimates
> > on a 130 page 4-color 8.5 by 11.0 Perfect
> > Bound plain paper book. We can change any
> > of that, but 8.5 by 11 is a very good size
> > because it is one of the standards. They
> > usually print everything that size or smaller
> > on US Letter or A4, and then cut it to size.
> > 8.5 by 11 would only require edge trimming
> > which may get us a better price.
> >
> > So, tell you what. It Xmas week next week.
> > everyone will be out this weekend, in the
> > malls. Wander into Borders or Barnes and
> > look at some of the photo and coffee table
> > books they have. Maybe we would want to go
> > bigger, or square? What do you think?
> >
> Was talking with Jef about his visions for the project. He
> thinks we
> need a book that is less than 1 pound and can fit easily in
> whatever bag
> an OLPC XO could be in.
>
> Not sure how many pages this would be (especially since
> page weights
> matter), but The Love Book (which Jef referenced
> originally) is 96 pages
> as of his last count.
>
> Making it sized for the OLPC would work by using the
> apparently-standard
> size of 6"x9". Not sure if Lulu can do this.
>
> Jef posted a braindump to the bottom of the wiki, I'd
> advise reading it.

Hey,

Yeah that's fine. More input the better. 6 x 9 is kind
of a standard size anyway, but photo books are usually
larger, but we are not locked into anything.

With 6 x 9 though, the pictures would not bleed right
up to the edge of the paper. There's usually a half inch
of white space margin around the image. That would make
the size of the whole-page images something like 5 x 8.

I'm still waiting to hear from Lightning Source, I think
we could get our best price from them. Ideally, I would
like something that leaves us with a $10.00 sales price.
Everybody should be able to afford that.

Lulu and iUniverse are also in the loop, and there are
tonnes of publishers, so if we can do better we can go
with that.

-- Doug Berry --
slasherzee at fedoraproject.org