Picture Book

Lisa Brewster sophistechate at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 00:00:24 UTC 2008

>  Ian mentioned, and something we will have to work out is a way or place
>> for people to submit their photos and stories. We can set up an on line drop
>> (can we use fpaste for that?)
>>

> Can't we use the wiki for this?

Since we are expecting a large number of replies, a dedicated submission
form just for this project will be way more streamlined for both submitters
and editors.  And as a bonus, we can also roll in validation to help ensure
submissions include all the necessary information.  There is some software
already available, but I haven't found anything F/OSS (but I'm asking
around).  Even a google docs form would help a ton (but user would be
responsible for hosting his / her submission and submitting a URL).

>  and then send an announcement to all the Red Hat lists, Open Submission
>> for two weeks or 300 photos, which ever come first. Someone with expertise
>> will have to handle the logistics on that. Then those of us listed on the
>> Picture Book wiki ( or any others ), can each choose our favorites, then
>> meet sometime on #fedora-meeting to hash it out.
>>

> Since we may get swamped with a lot of photos, I would be tempted to not
> sent it to *all* the lists. However, I would like some more time for
> submission, so you have a chance to prepare your photo session. Even more if
> it will include some props (stickers, buttons).

Agreed regarding timing.  We should focus on quality of responses, not
quantity.  Is there any major event next year where we could "launch" the
published book (and therefore count back the schedule from then)?
Preferrably something that a lot of people in the book would be attending,
and that gives us the opportunity for some fun launch contests.  Maybe
something like where the person who gets the most autographs from other
people in the book wins a prize, but people in the book can make others earn
their signature by solving riddles / hacking challenges / donating to $cause
/ etc.

Another thing I wanted to throw in here while I've got some time to think
about it...for this book to have any impact outside of the Ambassadors
included in it, we should start thinking about how to use the book to
generate buzz OUTSIDE of the Fedora community.  Otherwise, from a marketing
aspect, this book will just be preaching to the choir.  =]  As someone new
to the marketing team, I'm not sure who Fedora is most interested in
targeting...linux users who use other distros, non F/OSS users, or
developers to contribute to the project.  The book can engage all three, but
we'll definitely need different strategies to reach each type of user.
(Note:  This is the kind of conversations I'm most interested in having with
more experienced Ambassadors if I can make it to FUDCon.)

--
Lisa Brewster
http://www.sophistechate.com