Picture Book

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Dec 24 07:12:19 UTC 2008

Lisa Brewster wrote:

> Since we are expecting a large number of replies, a dedicated submission
> form just for this project will be way more streamlined for both
> submitters and editors.  And as a bonus, we can also roll in validation
> to help ensure submissions include all the necessary information.  There

And hook it with our account system to ensure submitter identity and CLA?

> is some software already available, but I haven't found anything F/OSS
> (but I'm asking around).  Even a google docs form would help a ton (but
> user would be responsible for hosting his / her submission and
> submitting a URL).

I don't think a Google Docs form is better than a wiki page

> Agreed regarding timing.  We should focus on quality of responses, not
> quantity.  Is there any major event next year where we could "launch"
> the published book (and therefore count back the schedule from then)?
> Preferrably something that a lot of people in the book would be
> attending, and that gives us the opportunity for some fun launch
> contests.  Maybe something like where the person who gets the most
> autographs from other people in the book wins a prize, but people in the
> book can make others earn their signature by solving riddles / hacking
> challenges / donating to $cause / etc.

This sounds like a FUDCon... there should be a FUDCon in the US this
summer and maybe we will have one in Europe again.

> Another thing I wanted to throw in here while I've got some time to
> think about it...for this book to have any impact outside of the
> Ambassadors included in it, we should start thinking about how to use
> the book to generate buzz OUTSIDE of the Fedora community.  Otherwise,
> from a marketing aspect, this book will just be preaching to the choir.
> =]  As someone new to the marketing team, I'm not sure who Fedora is
> most interested in targeting...linux users who use other distros, non
> F/OSS users, or developers to contribute to the project.  The book can
> engage all three, but we'll definitely need different strategies to
> reach each type of user.  (Note:  This is the kind of conversations I'm
> most interested in having with more experienced Ambassadors if I can
> make it to FUDCon.)

Generally Fedora targets potential contributors. Not developers
exclusively, but people who would join the project and contribute in
some way (code, packaging, documentation, artwork, infrastructure).