making the website better

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 06:07:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:

> I wanted to share with the marketing list this idea.
>
> I've talked to some guys at the websites group and it seems that there
> is a lack of people helping in that area. I also commented in my blog a
> few days ago about the lack of information the main site has, leaving
> almost all the basic information to the wiki, which makes the site
> fedoraproject.org useless.

I think that "useless" is a bit of an exaggeration, but your point does
have some merit.

Here's the problem: there's only so much space on the front page, and
people disagree about which information should be in that space.  It's a
common problem: how do you use that real estate?

> So the people from the websites team encouraged me to lead an effort to
> work on this issue, im already thinking about the basic information the
> main site of the project should have and so im already working on the
> design of the new sections.
>
> As a prospective member of the marketing team, i want to work on the
> website by providing the really important information about the project
> (for specific information we have the wiki) while, at the same time,
> working on some banners or sections to encourage people to join the
> community specially on areas that are weak on man power such as the
> websites team.
>
> So far this is the list of important items that should appear somewhere
> int http://fedoraproject.org on the Index (home) page
>
> * A small article explaining what fedora is (its already in the website)
> * A small div with the News (Fedora Weekly News)
> * A direct link (or links) to download the liveCDS or iso DVD
> * List of the most significant Spins currently hosted on the mirrors
>
> Also there should be (imo) a new section which explain how to get help
> and support.
>
> If any of you have another idea about some other item that should be in
> the main site share it.
>
> BTW, this is not official, and its just a proposal that i think its
> necessary for the project.

I'd love to see this discussion as well.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager