openSuse's new community leader

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Feb 6 21:54:31 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>> Max Spevack escribió:
>>> It looks like Joe Brockmeier has been hired as the openSuse
>>> community leader.
>>>
>>> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3725811
>>>
>>> --Max
>>>

>> Interesting read. I particularly liked the bits about an Open
>> Statistics effort (I wonder if that would include Smolt) and when he
>> plead for people to look beyond the Microsoft Covenant and see their
>> contributions. I especially am thankful to Novell for the
>> contributions made by some of their programmers (Xorg programmers)
>> and AMD for providing high quality totally open and free drivers for
>> AMD hardware, particularly graphics cards, with the radeonHD X11 driver.
>
> FYI, I have mailed him about Smolt (As I have done previously to many
> SUSE folks) and got a positive response. Let em followup and see if we
> can take this forward.
>
> Rahul

Awesome, Rahul! That's actually *very* nice to hear... I'm sure that if
more consolidated data is gathered in terms of *real* usage numbers of
Linux (along with what type of hardware is it being deployed) is a step
in the right direction towards really accounting the ancient question
"Who is using Linux, and how many users are there?". Especially useful
for companies like Novell and Red Hat, I'm sure, but also for the
desktop users, as this might trigger more availability to the platform
of software that has no open source alternatives or cannot have an
alternative (scientific, media, gaming), for the general public, plus
the fact that Linux distributions are (at a long last!) getting to the
point where standards are actually being followed and the conundrum that
once was deploying applications is quickly being a thing of the past.
Hopefully with support from other vendors as well as individuals, this
will truly be a thing of the past.

Go, go Linux, and go go Fedora, for being a true proponent and leading
distribution for Linux improvement, not only at the application level,
but at the *social* level.