Press release on publican?

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 16 11:58:18 UTC 2008

How about something like:

--------------------------

Free software is becoming increasingly popular with non-technical
users and as a result good documentation is becoming more important.
The greatest barrier to achieving good, free documentation has not
been a lack of interested contributors, but the difficulty of the
tools required to create and manage regularly updated and complex
documents.

Thankfully things have just got a lot easier: Publican has arrived.
Red Hat's documentation team have been using this tool which automates
the process of creating all the files needed to begin a new document,
as well as exporting the finished content into many of the most common
formats including HTML and PDF. Now they've opened it up to the world
and it is being hosted by the Fedora Project, who's own documentation
team are set to adopt it.

Jared Smith, a member of the Fedora Documentation Project, spent some
time talking about his first experiences with Publican:

"I probably spent at least a good twenty or thirty hours (or more)
setting up the infrastructure for the last DocBook project I started …
mostly setting up files (and the various links between them), tweaking
the Makefiles, etc. It was not exactly my definition of the word
'fun'.

"So on a whim last night, I figured I'd start checking out Publican
and see how long it would take. In less than 15 minutes, I had
Publican installed and an existing DocBook document ported over to it
(the new revision of the Software Management Guide, as part of the
Fedora Documentation Project). You can see the HTML output of my
endeavor <a href="http://jsmith.fedorapeople.org/software-management-guide/">here</a>,
complete with Fedora branding and everything."

You can find out how to get started with Publican on its Fedora Hosted
have done that, why not drop by the <a
href="http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Join">Fedora
Documentation</a> team and find out how you can help?

Just a suggestion - nice to procrastinate for a while :)

Jon