Free Me Too

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 20 05:51:07 UTC 2008

Russell Harrison wrote:

> A couple of thoughts up front.
>
> Is there any legal exposure if we use tools with potential patent
> problems to convert content even if they aren't distributed on the
> DVD?  h.264 comes to mind as an example.  The tools are available in
> the livna repos but not in the default repos.

IANAL but if you are in a region that enforce software patents, you
should consider the implications carefully and I can't offer legal
advise on that. If you have content in patent encumbered codecs, feel
free to point them to me and I will take care of the conversion.

> Should all of the content on the DVD be licensed under free licenses
> such as Creative Commons, or is it acceptable for the Copyrite holder
> to release the content for distribution with the DVD.  The obvious
> drawback there would be that people receiving the DVD wouldn't be able
> to reuse the content.

I want openly licensed content and not something specific to the DVD
image I put out. The ability to redistribute content as a criteria is
not negotiable. I am ok with some of the content having non-commercial
restrictions though I would prefer not.