ubuntu marketing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:48:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Right now people new to fedora come to fedora website (or at some
>  fedora booth at a conference), download or copy fedora cd/dvd, install
>  it, try to surf and when they come to some flash site they get an
>  error while flash player fails to install. They generally conclude
>  that fedora "sucks". They don't see this message you are saying.

You know... if you could encourage the upstream firefox developers to
make their plugin detection technology more flexible so we could
easily redirect firefox users to a page we controlled with information
concerning the situation.......we'd be most of the way there to
telling people why we are so very dearly sorry that flash doesn't work
out of the box.

>  It would be nice if you and others see this as an issue and also try
>  to communicate somehow directly to fedora users vs. indirectly via
>  some marketing and press releases which new fedora users rarely see.

It wishes were fishes.... I think this sort of messaging about users
being partners in the process is on Paul's roadmap as part of his plan
to lower the barrier to entry for contributors.

-jef