Marketing Idea

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Sun Feb 3 00:18:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 19:12 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> The FreeMedia program already exists - but it's completely volunteer
> based.  Last month, the first month that I participated in the
> program, we got around 700 requests in a 2-day period where we were
> accepting requests for the month.
>
> The problem that we have is a lack of resources to ship out these
> DVD's for free.  I restrict myself to the US, and even that costs me
> $1.31 per DVD to ship via first class mail, in addition to the cost of
> the media itself, and the padded mailers that I use ($1+ apiece).
>
> Such a program is not cheap, and I'm not sure how Ubuntu sustains it
> (unless it;s similar to ours, where we will send out the first 200
> requests in a month or so).

It's done volume based because the cd's are not that expensive.  As an
example for me a dvd will cost $0.50 AUD shipping it will cost me $0.50
AUD locally anywhere in Australia.  The most expensive is the special
envelopes which are made for cd/dvd's which cost $1.00 each.

Karlie will be able to explain more about volume since she is involved
with the sponsored media aspect of freemedia.

Cheers,

Marc