Fedora 9 Alpha Release Notes WAS Re: Fedora 9 Marketing plan?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 17:31:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 13:53 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Right,
>
> I think I've finished doing all the integration I can face right now
> between those two documents. Karsten, I've tried to restyle it a bit
> to your proposal for the "One summary to rule them all" idea and I've
> tidied up the language where possible.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JonathanRoberts/F9AlphaNotes

Sorry I arrived late in this discussion.  I did a final edit of the
Releases/9/Alpha/ReleaseNotes this morning.  Had you already merged in
your changes?  Your namespace draft and the one I edited appear at a
glance to be the same.

> At the minute it's very text heavy, some screenshots from people
> running rawhide would be very cool.

We could, but let's also let folks do that and blog about it directly.
I don't want to get into the habit of providing too many screenshots for
the release notes.  A little bit is good marketing value, but a highly
significant part of our userbase cares more about a correct feature list
first and identification of major improvements/changes.

> Also, I think the following
> sections probably still need work:
>
> "Applications" - It might be good to either expand on what's new in
> Firefox 3 or to find some more applications that we'd like to draw
> attention to upgrades?
>
> "Anaconda Installer Improvements" - perhaps somebody who knows more
> than I do could explain why people should care about these? Basically,
> I'd like to find some friendlier language to describe these
> improvements...
>
> "Kernel" - Same as Anaconda really, any chance we can make this friendlier?
>
> The other thing I think we could do with is a consistent way to link
> to both feature pages and upstream pages so readers can easily find
> more info.
>
> OK, besides that I'm quite happy with the shape it's in, but I don't
> know what other people think?

We can continue to edit it from here, that is one reason we use the wiki
for Alpha and Beta release notes.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.