Alpha Release Day Metrics

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:31:15 UTC 2008

On 06/02/2008, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > How can we know if we're doing a good / bad job or a better / worse job?
> > With metrics!  Well partially with metrics, here's some for the release
> > today.
> >
> > Of the three main pages linked to or talked about here's how many hits
> > each one got and where they came from.  With this we can see where good
> > outlets and bad outlets are.  We did make the front page of /. which helps
> > explain why our /wiki/Releases/9/Alpha/ReleaseNotes page got so many hits.
> > I'll send this same information out in a few days to see how we did.
> >
> > We didn't make it to the front page of digg today, by contrast Ubuntu got
> > front paged with 1685 for their alpha just 3 days ago.  How do we drum up
> > more interest?
>
> One cheap way: relentlessly drive everybody on this list, and others, to
> Digg stories about Fedora.
>
> It's like ol' PT Barnum said: the best way to draw a crowd is with a
> crowd.

Agreed...but we can't do much more than submit the link to the list?
It seems getting dugg is harder to do - we picked up 30 + diggs very
quickly and made it to the top of the upcoming list in the Linux
section but then things slowed :(

I think the problem we're fighting with here is that a lot of digg
users probably don't read the article before voting: they see Ubuntu
and "Release" in the title and hit digg regardless of the content.
Well OK, that's a guess - any other explanations?

Just in case people reading this thread haven't been over to digg yet,
there's still time:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Fedora_9_Sulphur_Alpha_Released/

Best wishes,

Jon