Alpha Release Day Metrics

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 14:52:35 UTC 2008

Elio Tondo said the following on 02/06/2008 06:45 AM Pacific Time:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>>> I think that these response times can be discouraging for users
>>> trying to get
>>> information about Fedora, and any effort aimed to understand and fix the
>>> problem will enhance Fedora visibility. BTW, I just tried the Ubuntu
>>> site (I
>>> don't like Ubuntu and it's a long time since my last visit there) and
>>> I found
>>> it lightning fast. I think that Fedora deserves  more infrastructure
>>> power to
>>> avoid being considered a poorly performing distro.
>>
>> The wiki shouldn't be used to get information to end users.  Use the
>> fedoraproject.org/ (no /wiki) or docs if you have something to say to end
>> users.  Our site is also lightning fast, just not Moin.
>
> Ok, I'm now on http://fedoraproject.org/ . I see nine links. Four of
> them (Wiki, Communicate, Events on the left menu, and Learn more in the
> middle of the page, go to Wiki. The annoncement of F9 Alpha posted on
> http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/02/05/help-shape-fedora-9-alpha-release-now-available/
> is also on the Wiki. Is this enough to say that, if the Wiki is slow,
> there is a significant impact on the user experience?
>
> Elio

+100

Yes, this is screaming for a CMS (content management system)--something
more evolved than a wiki or static html pages.  Switching to something
of this nature, for example Plone, has been discussed for a long time,
but to my knowledge we haven't had enough resources and people to lead
it in order to make it happen.

John