Alpha Release Day Metrics

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 17:57:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, John Poelstra wrote:

> > > The wiki shouldn't be used to get information to end users.  Use the
> > > fedoraproject.org/ (no /wiki) or docs if you have something to say to end
> > > users.  Our site is also lightning fast, just not Moin.
> >
> > Ok, I'm now on http://fedoraproject.org/ . I see nine links. Four of them
> > (Wiki, Communicate, Events on the left menu, and Learn more in the middle of
> > the page, go to Wiki. The annoncement of F9 Alpha posted on
> > http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/02/05/help-shape-fedora-9-alpha-release-now-available/
> > is also on the Wiki. Is this enough to say that, if the Wiki is slow, there
> > is a significant impact on the user experience?
> >
> > Elio
> >

> +100
>
> Yes, this is screaming for a CMS (content management system)--something more
> evolved than a wiki or static html pages.  Switching to something of this
> nature, for example Plone, has been discussed for a long time, but to my
> knowledge we haven't had enough resources and people to lead it in order to
> make it happen.

Plone won't be making it into our infrastructure other then docs.  We just
don't have the manpower and there's better alternatives out there.  One
reason we're on static pages right now is so we can use transifex to do
translations and lower the barrier to having people contribute.

You can re-create the entire website in just a minute on your workstation
with the current system which allows people to make complete and drastic
changes, put them up on fedorapeople for demo, then we can import or not
import.  Its a very easy / clean workflow.  I'm not saying it will be
around forever or anything but for this release we (infrastructure) are
focusing on hardening the stuff we currently have and aren't expanding
much.

	-Mike