separate fpo domain? (was Re: making the website better)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 17:42:02 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 8:25 AM, Jeffrey Tadlock <linux at elfshadow.net> wrote:
> By bringing people into the Fedora community through a main landing
> page it should also make messaging to the community a little easier,
> as we would have one main place to put that special banner announcing
> the upcoming FudCon, Alpha and Beta releases, Gold releases, etc.

Here's the problem we want to solve... too much information to dissiminate.
I don't think a single landing page is going to work.  You want a link
farm, we can have a link farm, but I don't think it makes any sense at
all to make the link farm the entry point for new people, nor is a
guided tour entry point a good thing for existing contributors.

What current contributors need and what potential contributors need
are totally different and we need entry points which recognize that.
On top of that, if we are serious about 'messaging', then we need an
entry point which is dedicated nearly entirely to 'messaging.'
That's sort of how messaging works right... you have to be on message
consistently.

I'm not afraid of dividing traffic, I'm afraid of shallow traffic...
people who hit an entry point and lose interest quickly because the
page has the wrong information and get bored... or too much
information and they get lost.

-jef