More statistics

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 18:32:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2008 9:02 AM, John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Absolutely!  Turning off yum-updatesd is part of my rebuild script for
>> new installs for the reason you've stated. I hate it :)
>
> So... can we have a heartbeat process that isn't tied to update questing?

In the past, this was regarded as "scary".

The reason we have a heartbeat at all is because yum-updatesd was already
serving in this capacity, and we were able to justify piggybacking to a
mechanism that was already there.

Myself, I'm in favor of instituting a *very* lightweight heartbeat, and
always have been.  Put an option in firstboot to turn it off, but leave it
on by default, and explain in the screen how important it is to the
project, and how there's *no* personally identifiable information.  Be
transparent about our decision, and accept the flak that we will likely
receive as the cost of doing business.  Metrics are *extremely* important
to our decision making abilites as a project.

Should be easy to get into F9 if we decide to do it -- but you're looking
at a board-level decision, I think.  Fortunately, Jeff, you're on the
board.  Also, you're extremely persuasive.  Threaten a robotic telescope
filibuster if you don't get your way.  ;)

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager