ubuntu marketing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 22:11:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Zhukov Pavel <gelios at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Then fedora will continue loose people that doesn't like "google right
>  after install". That's most of newbie linux users. Is this correct
>  marketing decision?

It's a principled marketing decision...and one I will continue to support.

The purpose of this project is to advance open source innovation.. it
is not to collect users like they are pogs.

We don't do that by prefering to expose users to the more capable and
legal but closed source versions of any technology over the less
capable or illegal open versions.  Flash and multimedia is no
exception.  If the open flash that we can distribute sucks...then we
find a way to fix it..and fix it legally.  Open development happens
faster exactly because developers and users are in more direct contact
than traditional closed development. We undercut the engine of open
development by preferring to show users closed software over open
software.  In this sense, ESR and myself are on opposite ends of
thought on how to deal with the problems of multimedia.  If you don't
agree with me, you might also find that the freespire is more to your
liking.

We can not hide from the fact the the legal issues surrounding patents
and multimedia is a huge mess. It won't get better unless we face it
head on and deal with it.
Running off to a small island somewhere where software patents and
incorporating there isn't going to help fix the problem. We fix the
problem by standing here, and telling everyone that this patent crap
is fundamentally hurting open innovation. We fix the problem by
standing here and reminding people that Europe is not immune to this
threat. It's real damn easy to pretend the problem is just a US
issue...its not. Its a looming legal issue everywhere. We don't win
long term by ignoring it.  We'll have this same discussion every
single release cycle.. and I'm okay with that. Patents are the biggest
problem facing the open source ecosystem, and I'd rather have Fedora
stand here and be a beacon for rational, passionate, discussion on the
issue, than to just side step the issue for the sake of collecting a
few more users in our userbase.

I do not need to beat another linux distribution in terms of users for
Fedora to achieve is core goals of fostering open innovation.
I need 'enough' users... i need 'enough' upstream developers.. i need
'enough' maintainers.. I need 'enough' triagers... I need 'enough'
artists... I need 'enough writers...I need 'enough' translators....
and give them 'enough' open infrastructure by which to communicate as
partners in the process of open innovation.

What I don't need is proprietary software.

I don't need to be greedy for Fedora to reach its prime objectives. I
am perfectly okay with other distribution existing and being popular.
The future of ALL linux distributions runs through what is happening
as part of Fedora...and I'm perfectly happy with that.

-jef