ubuntu marketing

Zhukov Pavel gelios at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 12:36:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Valent Turkovic
>
> <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  > Flash and multimedia is no
>  >  >  exception.  If the open flash that we can distribute sucks...then we
>  >  >  find a way to fix it..and fix it legally.
>  >
>  >  And now you say this needs to be fixed legally?!? Are you confused or am only I?
>  >  Please clear this up, you got me really confused right now.
>  >  AFAIK there is no legal and/or free way of making flash work via
>  >  swf-dec project if that is what you are implying.
>
>  I never said that there are easy solutions to the problem. If easy
>  solutions existed...we'd be making use of them.  It must be open and
>  it must be legal. I never said that a solution currently exists which
>  satisfies both conditions.  But if fluendo can make an open source
>  legal mp3 binary available, surely work can be done to make other open
>  source but legally obtainable binaries available for other codecs
>  (even if they cost money to get).  How long did it take for an entity
>  like fluendo to make a legal and open source mp3 implementation
>  available? 4 years or more since Red Hat dropped support for mp3
>  decoding (I forget exactly when rhl drop mp3 playback, it was
>  pre-fedora).  Hopefully it won't take another 4 years for them to be
>  able to provide further open codecs..even if they a non-zero cost to
>  users.
>

>  >  You talking too general, please don't generalize this issue with
>  >  classic open vs. closed source debate.  I know the benefits of open
>  >  source solutions and I really support them, but I don't see any open
>  >  source solution right now that makes users able to use flash video
>  >  online. Currently swf-dec works ONLY with youtube.com (most of other
>  >  sites don't work) and ONLY after you install illegal codecs!
>
>  Life's tough. The legal burden of software patents is a bitter pill.
>  The world is going to come to an end when the first software patents
>  get upheld in court in the EU.
>

>  >  I'll be happy to work out the quirks with swf-dec people but until
>  >  most of sites work don't force them to use this. Let's get enough
>  >  advanced users aware of swf-dec and later make the switch to open
>  >  solution later -  but first let's make it first so that it doesn't
>  >  suck this hard.
>
>  In a word, no. We will continue to suck, until people feel compelled
>  enough to find a solution we can live with. Open and legal..those are
>  the rules.
>

>  >  Ok, I understand that, I have heard it dozen of times since I joined
>  >  mailing lists, but if users agree with adobe licence there are no
>  >  patent violations for fedora or red hat. right?
>
>  You are perfectly free as a user to install adobe's stuff. Fedora as a
>  project isn't going to go out of its way to make using proprietary
>  software easy. It just isn't.
>

>  >  People need things to JustWork, and flash video is really high on that
> [...]

we HAVE system to BUY codecs with "one click".
we HAVE NO system to download FREE proprietary software such as
drivers and flash with "one click".

Nvidia and Ati cards is most powerful cards now. I have intel GMA with
free drivers and i can't play games or use compiz if my resolution
more than 2048. Is this correct to limit people freedom which hardware
they can use?

P.S.: Proprietary software isn't bad of evil. Fedora is free - this
mean people can choose to use proprietary software.