"For 2008 media will create Red Hat-Ubuntu war"

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 2 09:35:18 UTC 2008

> I think the more important battle is for the public understanding of
> where upstream development stems from and being better at taking credit
> for the excellent work Fedora does.

+1 which is exactly what I think the mission of the marketing team
should be. Fedora drives a lot of innovation and due to its strong
belief in working closely with upstream a lot of the innovation quickly
becomes available to other distributions. Something the article
overlooked I think: while open source code can benefit everyone, the
ease with which this happens is influenced by how quickly code gets
upstream and I'm not convinced Ubuntu, or any distribution, is as good
at this as Fedora. Anybody got any ideas where we could get some numbers
on this!?

Going to get started with new interviews (which nearly always have a
specific question about how the work gets upstream) and hopefully some
features/press release kind of stuff about other infrastructe aspects of
the community such as people.fp.org...you all probably know where this
is heading - if you want to help out you're more than welcome!!

Best wishes, and a happy new year to all :)

Jon