dormant bugs and our perception

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 15:23:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Jon Stanley wrote:

> I was triaging old bugs in the FC6 kernel, and got this back form a
> reporter.    While I agree that a lack of response can be frustrating
> to a reporter, I'm not entirely sure what (if anything) we can do
> about it.- I'm sending this to marketing-list since it seems to be a
> problem for us rather than QA - though probably both, and I'm sure
> alot of us are on both.

Handling this exact kind of problem is why bug triagers are worth their
weight in gold.

Because here's the thing: people don't expect all of their bugs to be
magically fixed.  (Well, some do, but it doesn't make good business sense
or good community sense to cater to unreasonable people.)

What they *do* expect is for someone to say, "gee, thanks for posting this
bug, we'll set the priority accordingly and maybe poke a developer."  And
we fail pretty miserably at that.

Cross-posting to the Fedora advisory board list.  Our inability to create
and nurture a bug triage community continues to be painful, and our
current QA resources within Red Hat continue to be (necessarily)
technically focused rather than community focused.  This is a problem we
need to solve.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg