Fedora 9 name

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 01:33:31 UTC 2008

> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>
> > Ok, so since pretty much this time around there was a total
> > dis-coordination between -devel and -marketing, how about, in the
> > future, have an IRC meeting or two simultaneous threads in -devel and
> > -marketing to propose codenames, and then the usual process could
> > continue?
>
> Too much overhead for a mere codename which is meant for developers and
> we don't have a marketing team to coordinate such activities. I don't
> view it as lack of coordination just because a few people disagree with
> some of the choices in a long list of possible codenames for a release.
> Again, I think the energy spend here can be directed towards doing
> actual marketing instead.
>
> Rahul

Im not specialized in marketing, but ive been using linux and fedora for
enough time to see that codenames are actually a flag that identify the
release of a distribution. Maybe not in fedora as we usually call the
release by its number (6 ,7 ,8 ...) but some other people rather call it
by its codename, for example ubuntu users (now please dont start flaming
about this comment... keep reading).

If the marketing team try to make a good name out of fedora, and reach
to the most people out there that could be a potential user (also
including those ubuntu users... we cant ignore that market) showing the
benefits of fedora, i think we are screwing things up with this
codenames slection... People always judge the book by its cover, so we
need something appealing

Juan Camilo Prada - <jprada at fedoraproject.org>
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JuanCamiloPrada