Fedora brand WAS Re: Self-Introduction | John Adams, Red Hat Brand Manager

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:08:06 UTC 2008

Hey there :)

Great to have you on board - I already have a question for you though so
I hope you don't mind me just firing away. I don't know if it's relevant
to you, or relevant full stop but...

> The reason I am telling you this?  I am eager to get involved with
> Fedora and leverage my skill set to help out however I can with Fedora
> brand management.  My relevant experience is in the areas of brand
> positioning development, brand strategy, brand architecture, naming,
> trademark management, and the evaluation of brand design elements
> (including logo, package design, and marketing collateral).

On the matter of Fedora's brand. Before we can market a brand
(positioning, strategy etc) do we need to decide what Fedora's brand is?
Obviously the project has a name, logo and a product. But going beyond
that there was a long discussion a while ago about Fedora's target
audience (see this post for some relevant info:
http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/7374.html).

To sucessfully market Fedora, do we need to define what it is that
Fedora actually is? Maybe other people have already figured this
out...maybe this isn't relevant. Thought I'd ask though becuase that
discussion interested me and I don't remember any particular resolution
to it.

Best wishes,

Jon