A potential learning exercise.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 20:59:07 UTC 2008

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:49:17 +0000
> Jonathan Roberts <jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On the point of where we might have failed here, I would love to hear
> > Leigh or Caroline's thoughts on it :) One quick observation from
> > myself: a google for "spin your own distro" results with Revisor
> > being 3 of the top 4 results; "rolling your own distro" results in no
> > Fedora related results in the top page. This could provide some level
> > of explanation, but perhaps if we'd really succeeded the author would
> > have gone out looking specifically for Fedora info.
>
> This is probably my fault.  I used the term "spins" and it's caught on
> within the Fedora world, but maybe the rest of the world is used to the
> term roll?

We can change our usage of this any time, and it's probably a good
chance Google will catch on shortly.  We like to be innovative with
everything in Fedora, but this is a good lesson for us that sticking
with (or mixing in) the terminology people know, when appropriate, is
worthwhile.

I think Mairin's cartoon "distro-spinners" make a much cooler visual
counterpoint than people rolling... uh... well, whatever it is they
roll.  Dough!  Yes, dough.  Fedora dough rollers.  *Ahem.*  No reason we
can't use other terminology to come up with visual statements, and mix
in the standard usage to help people catch on to the newer, shinier
stuff.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/