Using multimedia as a resource to promote Fedora

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:29:07 UTC 2008

2008/7/9 Roní Gonçalves <ronignc at yahoo.com.br>:
> And a "Release Video" could be done with co-operation of the marketing and artwork teams and  be disponible in the Fedora Project  Mainpage.

I am not sure we have the tools in distro right now that are capable
of producing a high enough quality video meant solely as a promotional
propoganda. I personally think F10 is too early a timeframe to try to
do this and be successful considering the current state of editting
tools in the distro and our cumulative lack of experience trying to
use them.  Tutorial screencast and interviews, are going to be far
easier targets to succeed because they won't need much in the way of
editing, or direction.

And I think its extremely important that we limit our video production
efforts to only using in distro tools for anything which could be
conceived as official.  If individual users want to use external tools
and create promotional videos that's fine by me.. it's not like I can
stop them. But if its coming out of the Fedora Marketing or the Fedora
Art group as official work, then we need to stick to in distro tools
and start having a real conversation about finding contributors who
can work with the upstream developers to make these tools better.

Hell, I haven't even started to poke people about making use of
blender yet to generate artistic video content.

I also don't know how we are going to ever be able to provide embedded
video in a way that makes sense on our main site.    Flash doesn't
support ogg yet, so we can't easily generate a flash video that works
for our userbase.  And for people outside our userbase, I'm not sure
there is a way to embed theora into a page and have it work for
people.  Is there a java applet floating around that lets you embed
theora and view it?

-jef