Interesting quote from Sun/MySQL

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 01:36:21 UTC 2008

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/oscon_pt_31_mys.html

"Sometimes we've had people say 'Why don't we do the Fedora model?'
Well, we're at such an early stage of OSI adoption that there needs to
be a conscious level of experimentation -- business models, licenses,
products -- in order to foster the next generation of innovation. And
that thrashing around is OK. We want to encourage that level of
experimentation. Maybe it puts a bit more burden on IT to understand the
subtleties of these licenses, but the payoff is high and the effort is
not exorbitant."
* * *

Note carefully the implication here: that the way Red Hat and Fedora
interact and complement each other is what you do when you've *finished*
thrashing around, and want to do open source business right.

--
Paul W. Frields