Fedora disconnection?

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jul 30 07:11:57 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy escribió:
> If it's any help at all, it is really really easy to conduct your own
> usability tests. You need to have a target for the test first. We did
> this recently at FUDcon for the Fedora website. I'll walk you through
> exactly how we did this quickly so you can see how to do it yourself:
>
> 1) First the Fedora websites team discussed what were the most
> important tasks we wanted users to be able to accomplish on our
> website:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2008-May/msg00094.html
>

> 2) Then we came up with a testing plan:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2008-May/msg00320.html
>

> 3) Then we conducted a test! It did not take very long. Here's our
> report:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2008-June/msg00231.html
>

> Do note that usability testing doesn't fix problems. It identifies
> them. It does not identify solutions. However it's really valuable to
> see for yourself first hand how others experience what you're working on.
>
> I wonder if it would be cool to have a "usability test a friend" day,
> where some project or focus within Fedora gets together to write up a
> pre-defined set of tasks to test, and then we publicize the usability
> test a friend day. Then everyone involved in Fedora can find just one
> person within their circle of friends and run them through those
> tests, and contribute their usability report back. It might be cool to
> give some kind of recognition to the person who tests the most people
> and/or writes up the best reports :)
>
> Even if only 10 folks were willing to go grab one friend and watch
> them try out some of the features of Fedora or our website, and then
> report back to us the experiences they had, we would have a really
> valuable body of data from which to understand what basic problems we
> need to solve to make Fedora better. It really should only each person
> take 20-30 minutes of their time per user they test.
>
> ~m

Marin, you just gave a great idea... I'll have to think it through more
thoroughly and even test it before I'd dare suggesting it fully. I'll do
some tests, but first I have to find some volunteers (I have a few
prospects). When I have something I hope to present it to you all...
Until then, there's a lot of thinking I have to do.