Community input wanted: How to compile questions for an interview.

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 17 08:24:35 UTC 2008

2008/7/17 Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:07 PM, "Sankarshan (সঙ্কর্ষণ)"
> <foss.mailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How about asking what stuff they'd like to see in Fedora in terms of
>> internal engineering bits ? ;) Or, the very usual 'why did you end up
>> choosing Fedora ?'
>
> Let me stress.  The point of this email is to ask this list how to
> compile a list of questions... not what questions to ask.

Jef,

My opinion is not to ask questions based on their popularity but on
what will make the best interview. I know that's actually out of line
with Fedora's whole approach to things, but it's adding a whole extra
layer of complexity that won't necessarily lead to a better
end-product.

In the past I've run interviews where I've invited people to send in
their questions and then just used the best of those, and ordered them
in the way that makes it the most interesting for the audience and
also causes the interview to make sense. This worked well. Having some
flow from question to question is, I think, important.

I am also not that keen on sites like Digg etc, as I believe they can
lead to a "lowest common denominator" situation, something you
definitely don't want for an interesting interview!

Best,

Jon