Marketing Plan - Time Based

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jul 19 18:27:23 UTC 2008

Hey all,

What do you think of making the marketing plan time based, and task
focused? There should certainly be room for people to pick up and run
with issues and ideas when they arise, but I think this could be more
useful to our little group than the current marketing plan's form...
It's rough and I've left out some of the generic info because the
current plan covers that very well. I've tried to pick parts of Fedora
and give them marketing "focus" for appropriate times in the release.
Would love some feedback. According to my approach we're just about to
come into the middle section of tasks I've dreamed up:

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

In terms of a release cycle:

1st and 2nd month:

-------------------------------

Gathering reviews from previous release - wiki
Highlighting the positive comments - RHM (for now) + own blogs
Answering the negative (where applicable) - forums, news sites, blog posts
	Highlight freedom, features and first when answering negative

Push for new contributors
	Need to review join page. A generic process for all SIGS/Teams might be useful

FUDCon
	Video, contributor stories, hackfest info, talk recordings, plans for
what's to come!

	Should collect individual's blog posts, share them on RHM
	Videos to go to Fedora TV (can include contributor stories, talks etc)

3rd and 4th month:

----------------------------------

LinuxTag/FISL
	Talk about interaction with other projects, more contributor stories,
videos etc

	Should collect individual's blog posts, share them on RHM
	Videos to go to Fedora TV (can include contributor stories, talks etc)

Stories about Fedora infrastructure - how great a community to
contribute through - RHM, need to co-ordinate interviews and editorial
content

	Should probably try and get an article in some publications about
this aspect of Fedora.

Working with upstream - blogs, Transifex would be a good highlight here

Re-spins - RHM, own blogs, editorial content + interviews

Contacting editors/writers to start pointing out work going on with
beta and where they can find out more info on key features

	Need to co-ordinate with RH - have a single point of contact
(press at fedoraproject.org?), think it's important to try and work
through community here (but then that's my opinion!), this was a
slight problem in previous release when RH and I both contacted some
magazines about similar topics.

Arrange for external interviews - podcasts etc - with developers and
contributors

	Need a list of podcasts and other online media.

	Need a list of contributors willing to be interviewed!

5th and 6th month:

FUDCon

	Talk about interaction with other projects, more contributor stories,
videos etc

	Should collect individual's blog posts, share them on RHM
	Videos to go to Fedora TV (can include contributor stories, talks etc)

Interviews with developers

	Wiki and RHM for now.

	Need to know upcoming features to start this

Kick ass pretty feature summary

	Wiki for text, need websites and art for look

Home page countdown

	Art team

New banner

	Art team

FREEDOM & FIRST

	Need editorial content - RHM and own blogs.

Leader interviews

	Exactly as last time - these worked very *well*

Running parallel:

--------------------------------------

I'd like to try and get news.fp.o running for F10 release. Totally
dependent on others, and totally understand it's a huge amount of
work!

Need decent video editing software

Need decent recording equipment at events.

Need to tie in better with fedoraforum.org - Rahul etc

Yeah, I know this is something of a mess, but some of it makes sense
to me and I hope to you too!

Jon