Intel's Moblin dumps Ubuntu in favor of Fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 16:19:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 12:18 +0000, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 18:16 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Rahul Sundaram
> > <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Interesting move from Intel. Let's hope they start contributing to Fedora
> > > more.
> > >
> > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/23/moblin_reworked/
> >
> > Is there any previous archived discussion anywhere....that talks about
> > their plans with regard to actually interacting with Fedora in a
> > "project" sense.  If there goal really is to attract developers, they
> > need to talk to us about aligning the development process of moblin
> > with Fedora policies...or else the switch they are doing might not not
> > give them a contributor boost.  Isn't that one of the lesson learned
> > from OLPC?  Just forking the Fedora 'bits' isn't going to necessarily
> > be the win in terms of contributor involvement.  I think they need to
> > seriously be looking at how to pull moblin development into the Fedora
> > project.
> >
> > Who's at OSCON right now, who can talk to Dirk about this?    Greg?
>
> I already set Greg and Karsten on this earlier last night.  Greg can
> summarize how that went and where we go from here, but I'm sure he made
> it plain to Intel/Moblin that there's an opportunity for them here.

Karsten reported, in response to someone else's thread inside Red Hat:

'''
In terms of Moblin, right when you (and Paul and ...) hit us with the
Reg article, Dirk Hohndel was giving a 'chalk talk' about Moblin.  Greg
DeKoenigsberg, John Poelstra, and myself went to hear and get involved
in the Q&A.  In response to Greg's question ("What can I do for you?"
handing him his business card), and the audience question about why
switching from Ubuntu to Fedora, Dirk's responses were:

* They already interface with Dave Jones and have for some time; Dirk
feels that is a solid and legitimate way to interface, as he considers
them downstream and need to push any changes back up in our direction
and in other upstreams.

* They switched to Fedora because they want to use RPMs ... so they can
build in OpenSUSE's Open Build System.  Greg took more careful mental
notes than I did about the specifics, but Dirk had some functionality
that, "Sorry, Koji does not have."

* He didn't seem to be interested in Moblin as a feature of Fedora, per
se.  He's happy to work as a downstream entirely.
'''

--
Paul W. Frields