Intel's Moblin dumps Ubuntu in favor of Fedora

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:49:28 UTC 2008

2008/7/24 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> * He didn't seem to be interested in Moblin as a feature of Fedora, per
> se.  He's happy to work as a downstream entirely.

I wasn't thinking Fedora 'feature' I was thinking more along the lines
of how OLPC is interacting with us..sort of...without making use of
the Fedora brand directly.

Obviously they have a technical investment with OpenSuse's building
service. Is there room for a technical bridge there between that
service and our infrastructure?  I'm not saying that we build that
bridge for them. But if over time they wanted to work with us more
closely, would we allow some sort of technical bridge to be built?

My concern is primary about doing what is best to build contributor
interest in the space that Moblin is attacking. I'm not sure they are
going to get a community involvement boost acting as a complete
separate downstream to our..kernel.  I think they will only get a real
boost if they align their internal project processes with the process
of either OpenSuse or Fedora to more easily access one or the other
existing contributor pools.  And I think we can do that without
forcing them to use the Fedora brand.  We are sort of doing this with
OLPC right now, aren't we?  I hate to see them bouncing back and forth
trying to be the downstream of different projects in succession,
looking for the magic ticket that unlocks new contributor interest.

-jef