Intel's Moblin dumps Ubuntu in favor of Fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 20:45:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 10:49 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> 2008/7/24 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> > * He didn't seem to be interested in Moblin as a feature of Fedora, per
> > se.  He's happy to work as a downstream entirely.
>
> I wasn't thinking Fedora 'feature' I was thinking more along the lines
> of how OLPC is interacting with us..sort of...without making use of
> the Fedora brand directly.

Right, but the obvious difference is that Intel's resources dwarf ours
-- and that's a *major* difference.

> My concern is primary about doing what is best to build contributor
> interest in the space that Moblin is attacking. I'm not sure they are
> going to get a community involvement boost acting as a complete
> separate downstream to our..kernel.  I think they will only get a real
> boost if they align their internal project processes with the process
> of either OpenSuse or Fedora to more easily access one or the other
> existing contributor pools.  And I think we can do that without
> forcing them to use the Fedora brand.  We are sort of doing this with
> OLPC right now, aren't we?  I hate to see them bouncing back and forth
> trying to be the downstream of different projects in succession,
> looking for the magic ticket that unlocks new contributor interest.

Downstream should be free to choose what they like from upstream to
build their own toys.  That's the promise of FOSS.  What will unlock
contributor interest is their vision of Moblin -- which we can't give
them.  I worry that this thread sounds a little too much like requiring
downstream to have a relationship with us.  That sounds a bit
unrealistic to me.

I'm not sure what "aligning internal project processes... to more easily
access one or the other existing contributor pools" means.  But if you
believe it's a worthy goal, this is something you can (and probably
should) discuss directly in the Moblin project.

--
Paul W. Frields