Intel's Moblin dumps Ubuntu in favor of Fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 21:27:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 12:59:46PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> 2008/7/25 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> > Downstream should be free to choose what they like from upstream to
> > build their own toys.
>
> This is a given.  No one is saying people are not free to choose.
> But generally, large changes in project direction, should also be
> moments of reflection and introspection.  The direct quotes attributed
> to Dirk in the article speak to a desire to attract contributors. Just
> moving to rpm packaging, and re-basing on a Fedora kernel isn't going
> to do that. If they are looking to make changes to attract more
> contributors and have a more active community, then those changes were
> not communicated in the article.

I'm not surprised the article didn't reflect it -- it struck me as a
little bit sensationalist and not interested in the details. But we
should be used to that!

> > I worry that this thread sounds a little too much like requiring
> > downstream to have a relationship with us.  That sounds a bit
> > unrealistic to me.
> >
> > I'm not sure what "aligning internal project processes... to more easily
> > access one or the other existing contributor pools" means.  But if you
> > believe it's a worthy goal, this is something you can (and probably
> > should) discuss directly in the Moblin project.
>
> Let me be clearer then. They should replicate or integrate with as
> much of our contributor facing infrastructure and policies as they can
> to lower the barrier to entry to their project as far as possible so
> that people in our community who care about the mobile sector can work
> with them. I don't give a crap if they want to use the Fedora brand or
> not.
>
> I have an email out to Arjan with these very thoughts.

The messages I've seen from Arjan imply that Moblin is going to do
this in their own way, and the messages I saw from Greg and Karsten
support that as well.