Red Hat, the biggest contributing vendor to Xorg

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 04:50:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Along with the Linux kernel, another interesting tidbit.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_server_contributors&num=1

Ah look the laypress is starting to pay attention.  The level of
contribution to upstream projects matters!  Let's see if the take the
next step and use their editorial soapboxes to start being critical of
companies who aren't contributing back to the projects they depend on.
A spotlight on companies who are benefiting from the work of open
source projects but aren't support those very same projects would be a
gloriously wonderful thing to see.  I would almost call that the birth
of a completely new type of laypress..a laypress dedicated to
protecting the long term interests of the open ecosystem.  That would
be a laypress I could get behind.

Want to take any bets on which person in the press picks on this
information as it relates to Shuttleworth's call on upstream project
to sync release schedules to match Canonical's needs and does an
unscientific inquiry as to exactly how much upstream involvement
Canonical is actually providing to a number of important projects
which Canonical relies on heavily.    I think that would be a
fascinating article to read.... it would even border on legitimate
investigative journalism.

-jef